Today was a rainy and cold day. Not the most fun weather to start off the week I could think of, but I was able to get back to work on the horse shoes. This week, I will be able to keep pace with my one day goals. I used part of the weekend to get my studio organized, and I planned out the week with the hopes of making a few extra shoes as well. I will be writing a longer post tomorrow, getting into a little more detail on horse hoof anatomy and not only is it some cool information to learn about, it'll help me explain some of the 'adventures' I've had with Dolly, which is what I'm going to be basing some of my designs on this week!
For this horse shoe, I combined the idea of wrapping with a geometric interior. I wanted to play with interesting color interactions. I wanted to use the interactions to create a duality. Kind of a play on the duality of warm and cold, soft and hard, all things that I wanted this shoe design to explore. I am still playing with the sharpness of the angles and feeling more comfortable working within the space of the unique shoe shape.
The next design I want to play with is creating soft and rounded shapes with the threads, especially on the shoes that have a rounder shape.
Catch you all this week!!
Today I got to get back to weaving on my loom! The bamboo warp is ready to go, and I started making several small weavings, trying out different lace patterns. I am weaving a variety of different sized lace pieces to experiment with! Today's post will mostly be pictures and I will elaborate on the stories behind these tomorrow. Be sure to check back in this weekend for the stories and more shoes transformations. Maybe they will be combined in some ways with these lace weavings...
I realized this very chilly morning, it is 10 outside here in NC, that I never explained why I was doing work with horse shoes... whoops
I have been riding horses for 20 years and love them beyond words. For the longest time I refused to make art work about horses or horse related themes. I wanted to keep my horse world separate from my art world because the horses where my escape. Then I gave in and started making work that related to horses and my work improved and had stonger concepts. I was pulling from a source of inspiration that had no rival in my life. I was passionate about portraying my feelings about horses and the bonds I have with them especially my horse, Dolly.
Working with the theme of horses elevated my work to new levels and since then any time I am stuck I remember to pull inspiration from the things you truly love and care about. For me this is horses and nature. I had collected horse shoes before to make prints on fabric but this is the first time I am trying to use the horse shoe itself in a piece.
Now the challenge comes in how to incorporate the shoes with the weaving. I designed a lace weaving that would add sharp contrast to the harsh cold weight of the shoes. I am going to make several small weaving to use with the horse shoes. I will rust a few and see if and how I can attach a light weight aluminum shoe to the woven fabric.
I organized my embroidery threads too so now I will be able to weave up my lace and continue working on tackling the interior of the shoes with thread designs! Stay tuned for more updates soon!
So I am finally beginning to make progress on the horse shoes! I spent the weekend soaking them in a solution that would remove most of the rust.
Once I scrubbed off the dirt, which there was plenty of, I dried them overnight. Now I am in the process of spray sealing them.
I am really excited to start playing with the different types of thread colors and designs that I can manipulate inside the negative space of the shoe.
I want to focus on creating geometric patterns found in nature with the threads. I am thinking of trying to draw some fungus and mushrooms in the interior because this is what is found on the ground. Keeping the shoes grounded! The shapes of mushrooms are amazing as well as the color and texture.
So here is my first try at playing with thread and horse shoes! I will do a few more playfully ones before making a design plan for the next few.
In the theme of the new year I am taking on the challenge of creating 1 new piece a day for the month of January. Now I know I missed the first couple days but hopefully I will be able to make it up in the end cross your fingers....
For this experiment I am going to dive into a new material to work with... Horse Shoes!!
I am going to experiment using the negative space in the center of the horse shoe to be my canvas space. For now I have my haul of shoes in the studio and the next step is removing the dirt and rust from them.
Stay tuned for updates of what is going on with the horseshoes!