I am very excited about the shoes I worked on today! I was able to find metal bead-cones that can hold a section of a horse's mane hair! Now I can add horse hair accents to the shoes. Exciting! Horse's manes grow just like human hair, and need to be shortened several times a year, and I've been trying to figure out if there was something I could do with all of Dolly's extra hair. This seems like a perfect opportunity!
This is going to be very exciting. I took some time today to revisit the blue milkyway galactic shoe and I added some of Dolly's mane hair to it. After I was done I was pretty pleased with it, and I think this provided the shoe with a better sense of balance.
For the next shoe. I decided to try my hand at creating a color gradation. I found it strangely cathartic to wrap the shoe in this way. I realized back when I first starting weaving that I find great peace in the repeating motions, and I really liked how the thread flows continuously around the shoe. I added the mane this time from my mom's horse, Charlie. I think this shoe is starting to go in a really good direction. I wanted to try to find my beads so I could add them to this shoe, maybe along with some thread work in the center to really pop the black mane forward. So, I am commencing a bead hunt adventure in my studio tonight for some with turquoise and blue/green coloring. I will finish this shoe tomorrow. I am hoping to have two brand new shoes tomorrow, and maybe even a horse blanket too....